The social care forum
April 19, 2024, 02:06:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Is it just me

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me  (Read 555 times)
steadysue

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »

Well, I've missed accessing this site for some time  since it got wiped or whatever.
Now it's good to be back and I've been trying to catch up and see what has been going on, how is the QCF working out, what are folk having problems with.
Now I like the new award apart from some concerns it might be a bit academis for some, there's a nice balance between competence and knowledge, standards are much clearer and candidates have the chance to confirm their competency and knowledge.
How disappointing then to see requests for help on subjects like safeguarding, some workers seemingly do not know what to do in the event of abuse being disclosed or suspected.  Should this not be covered in Induction and not left until they start their QCF? Even a level 3 candidate had asked the question! No wonder abusive practices continue when workers are not aware of what to do to stop it!
Hopefully the assessors who use this site are committed and know their stuff but I'm left wondering what some do when I see a shed load of queries on the same unit from candidates, do the candidates get no support from their assessors.  It's always good to have someone else's ideas to increase your knowledge but it seems that often the candidate has no idea at all!  Surely this can't be right.
I'm only too. happy to point someone in the right direction but I really believe it is their award and not give them word for word answers.
And let's not even go into the pressures to complete an award that training providers put us under.
How are other assessors coping with Apprenticeships?  I dislike them now as much as I did several years ago!!  All that work, poor candidates and for rubbish salaries!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Oliver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

Hi steadysue, no it isnt just you, I feel the same way.  It seems that some assessors are not able to support their candidates and this is why forums such as these are so busy, answering questions on a regular basis.   And it is very concerning that candidates do not know what to do about safeguarding and also seem unaware of the Codes of Practice in Social care.  Don't know what the answer is to this situation but at least we are not alone.
Report Spam   Logged
loupielou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:03:25 am »

Hi all!
How gratifying to read that others are concerned about the lack of very basic knowledged we are seeing in candidates. I became really disheartened and this contributed to my leaving a job I loved. I completed my PGCE and did did teaching prac. with HSC students and their knowledge was far and beyond many of my level 3 candidates (many of whom have been working in a senior capacity for years) When I managed homes staff had to be conversant with all knowledge required - we talked about things together - I put paperwork to one side frequently to address issues before they arose - it saved paperwork in the long run! How the CSCI/CSSIW not pick up on these things - my homes were scrutinised!
Also with pressures to complete candidates within ridiculous timescales, and candidates signed up for 'wrong' levels/awards - I had 3 candidates doing CCLD(L3) and they worked as a sitting service for carers of elderly people - 'in case' they were required to 'look after' a child - I'm all about being proactive but how were they supposed to be observed? Candidates put forward for level 3 because they had level 2 (not doing the work at level 3 'though) Training companies being offerred finance for these candidates are hardly likely to say no are they (moral question not a business one) Also I became concerned when the company I worked for took on a candidate as a trainee assessor before finishing her level 3 - and true his written work was marvellous - but his observations and experience in the 'care world' were not such that it made him experiencially competant - how can he respond to a candidate in crisis on a busy residential wing when he has no experience of this - these are things you cant get from text books. Or are we meant to be so detached we repeatedly refer them to their line manager.
Recent media coverage highlights very poor basic care of elderly patients in hospitals and wants nurses to be given more training - in how to respond to some one who looks sad, upset, or someone with dry lips looking longingly at a glass of water just out of reach etc etc Lord help us all - phew I feel better now.....thanks.....
One last gripe! I agree with Sue's comment about salaries - care staff should be paid more - attracting people willing to give that bit extra, retaining staff who are GOOD - (many get higher salary and better 'hours' working in shops.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: