The social care forum
April 20, 2024, 10:59:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

back to basics guys..... can I have some advice?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: back to basics guys..... can I have some advice?  (Read 457 times)
Nix15

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:00:54 am »

Due to my rubbish training, I have always approached the QCF, unit by unit and ususally asked for written pieces. New company,new resources and new approaches including workshops and powerpoints etc. I have picked up that a lot of people focus on the optionals first as they reflect well into the mandatories.  This is news to me but makes perfect sense. What units would you reccommend for workshops then, are there some that are more effective via workshops? I also find it kinda tricky doing holistic assessment with QCF....... like I said I'm new.....not rubbish so don't judge me Smiley. Because the learning outcomes ask for 'explain or describe' how can that be covered via observation or reflective accounts? surely any questions asked during an obs wouldn't generate enough info to meet 'desribe or explain' How much info is required to successfully meet a L.O that specifies describe???
If anyone can advise me with a good approach such as
"session one is good to focus on X"
"session 2 fits nicely into ......"
Not looking for you to tell me how to do my job, just guidance for a better approach
Thank you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Aunty Sue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:06:56 am »

Hi Nix15,

First of all we are all new to QCF so don't worry. We are just feeling our way until we find what works best. I always advised working on optional first with NVQ as the mandatory units could be covered by much of the evidence at the same time. I find its not quite so straightforward with QCF due to the number and choice of units. Holistic assessment will also be difficult until we get used to the units.

I would suggest starting with an 'easy' unit first ie one that makes sense to the candidate. Then get a few units under their belt before tackling the more difficult/complicated ones. This will help to spur them on rather than make them feel like giving up at the first hurdle.

You will find explanations on how to assess etc and a glossary of terms in your centre's handbook eg see here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_53061_kd_qcf_centre_handbook.pdf

Terms such as demonstrate, implement, perform etc are actions that must be seen. Explain, describe, detail etc are where candidates must show their knowledge so cannot be observed but can be evidenced verbally or in written form. Some units are performance based, some are knowledge based and some are a mixture of the two. Your training organisation should have standardisation meetings to decide what evidence is appropriate and sufficient etc.

Workshops depend on the needs of your learners for example dementia could be appropriate but communication and information handling is common to all.

Hope that helps

Aunty Sue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: