The social care forum
April 19, 2024, 03:23:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

community care units

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: community care units  (Read 1334 times)
steadysue

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:11:39 pm »

I have 2 level 3 learners who work in the community in service users' own homes and I am at a loss as to which optional units to complete with them.  They can both do HSC375 and 350, hopefully one can do 360, the other can't she has  a bad back!?.  One says she does 'mainly personal care' and the other is the care co ordinator who only covers for carers when they are sick or on leave, the majority of her working time is spent in the office.  Neither are involved in the assessment process and neither do any care planning.  On the plus side they are both willing to do reflective accounts but on what?
Any suggestions and ways of collecting evidence would be very welcome.
Steadysue
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Aunty Sue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:44:24 am »

Hi Steadysue,

Not an easy one to answer without knowing exactly what each of your candidates does, or has done.

How about, for example:

HSC 331 - Support individuals to develop and maintain social networks and relationships?

HSC 332 - Support the social, emotional and identity needs of individuals?

HSC 343 - Support individuals to live at home?

HSC 344 - Support individuals to retain, regain and develop the skills to manage their lives and environment? (Useful for individuals who have had a stroke)

HSC 352 - Support individuals to continue therapies? (as above)

HSC 358 - Identify the individual at risk of skin breakdown and undertake the appropriate risk assessment?

There are others too , it just depends on what they do.

With HSC 360 a bad back should not be an excuse as carers are not expected to put their health in danger. The whole point is to use safe techniques for moving and positioning.

With reflective accounts you could start them off with HSC 32. Tell them to think of one particular shift and write about what they did regarding health and safety.

Am I right in guessing that your candidates are not keen on doing their NVQ?

Hope that helps

Aunty Sue

Report Spam   Logged
steadysue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:10:46 pm »

Thanks for ideas Aunty Sue.  Wholly agree with you about the bad back.  I think they're ok about doing their NVQs, they have both done level 2.  I always get concerned when I start off level 3s and they don't seem to be in a level 3 care role and want me to do the work!
Steadysue
Report Spam   Logged
Aunty Sue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:20 am »

Hi steadysue,

I thought that might be the case. They have given you several reasons/excuses why they cannot do optional units and are are relying on you to overcome their assessment difficulties by doing more for them. Don't worry it happens to us all occasionally - (often!).

I'm not saying that they don't have issues that will make assessment difficult but they can usually be overcome. They have proved that their roles include enough care by completing level 2. Did they complete it with you? If not ask to look at their portfolios to see how it was done.

Try going through the options before you see them again and look for ways that they might cover some of them, arm yourself with ideas. Take a number of possibles with you and go through them with them again but this time don't be too quick to allow them to dismiss them. Keep positive and tell them how they can cover them (e.g. HSC 360) and that you have faith in them.

It may mean that they need to ask for extra shifts or work on their own time but if they want to complete they must show willing.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope that helps

Aunty Sue
Report Spam   Logged
steadysue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:17:32 pm »

Hello Aunty Sue,
Candidates did their level 2 with another training provider not that long ago.  Looking at portfolios would be very interesting as one tells me her assessor observed personal care and said that was ok because it was with a female!
I have looked at suggested units and if the one who actually does care is prepared to be flexible and do her bit I'm quite confident she can achieve.
However after I contacted our office and explained situation with other candidate being a care co ordinator and only doing relief care cover they have decided she should probably not be doing award and if she wants to continue will have to do 15 hours hands on care a week for the duration of award.  So they are trying to get her transferred to a  more suitable award.
I didn't mean to cause all this bother, honest!
I don't know about anyone else but I have always thought that level 3 is an award that really means something and I expect candidates to be in the job role for it, have good knowledge and be prepared to come up with ideas and be prepared to work for it.  All to often now I'm seeing people who have been doing a care job for a few months, think they should be spoon fed information and answers and/or have managers who dismiss a level 2 award as being of no account.
In fact, I'm seeing one tomorrow!
Thanks for help, units suggested were very helpful.
Steadysue   
Report Spam   Logged
Aunty Sue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:36:25 am »

Hi steadysue,

Good for you! You raised a relevant issue with your training organisation, they listened and acted. You didn't cause bother, you did the right thing and so did your organisation. That's great to hear.

I know what you mean about attitudes to NVQs. Level 2 is often seen as a waste of time by managers and workers. They don't realise that to gain a level 3 they need to provide evidence that they are working at that level and that they have the knowledge and experience to do the job to the required standards. We are there to 'support' and assess them not to fully train them for the job.

I'm pleased that you have joined the forum. Feel free to come for support (or just to let off steam!) and to offer support and respond to questions.

Aunty Sue
Report Spam   Logged
Olivia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:38:43 pm »

Heard it all before! This is a common problem with the "must have NVQ, time restraints and meet the targets" brigade. The NMS didn't help by quoting being on the NVQ programme within 6 months! We are ASSESSORS and not TRAINERS - in theory. (Trainers will need PTTLS, CTTLS, DTTLS (http://inspiringprogress.co.uk/blog/?p=14=1) The responsibility for training lies with the unit manager, who must initiate the core standards in training all new starters and must sign them off as competent at the end of the probationary period. "The core standards do not of themselves set out new expectations of the NHS or any other care provider, but are based on a number of standards or requirements that already exist.  They describe a minimum level of service which is acceptable and which must be universal.  Meeting the core standards is not optional.  Health care organisations must comply with them." That is where the problem starts. I attended a workshop at a recent conference where it was pointed out that this is not being done in many local authorities and seldom in the private sector. You need to ask to see these (suggest that you can get knowledge evidence from them) to see how your assessment will go. If they haven't been trained, ask the manager to make sure they are. (YEAH - and pigs will fly)
Report Spam   Logged
steadysue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:07:49 am »

Hello Olivia,
Hmm, see this forum is going to keep me occuppied.
Couldn't agree more that we are assessors not trainers and should be supporting and assessing competence not training and teaching candidates to do the job! 
But .... how does this sit with the LSC requirements that we need to evidence so many hours of teaching 'underpinning knowledge'.  Observations cannot be counted in those hours.  But the EV diesn't want banks of questions in the portfolio and wants evidence for knowledge to be shown through observations, etc!  And let's not even start on about what Ofsted want.
With regard to PTLLS I thought it was now a requirement that all assessors needed this now plus membership of ILF?  Do you think our job title and the whole award needs to be renamed?
Steadysue
Report Spam   Logged
Olivia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:47:24 am »

You can already join the Ifl as an associate member. Below is a paragraph taken from their application details on the website.

Associate - AIfL  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Experienced practitioners within post-16 education and training, who hold a minimum of the level 3/4 Certificate (Certificate in Teaching in Lifelong Learning Sector, CTTLS) or equivalent or level 4 stage 1 or 2 FE Teacher Qualification for full time teachers  Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink or assessor awards (eg D32/D33).   Wink Wink Wink Wink

Typical accepted qualifications: All stages of City and Guilds 730/ 7301/ 7306/ 7307, Learning (or Training) and Development NVQ 3 or 4, Direct Training and Support NVQ3, CIPD Certificate in Training Practice.

Associates are entitled to use the designatory letters AIfL.

Olivia (D32/D33 AIfl)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:49:17 am by Olivia » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: