The social care forum
March 29, 2024, 06:35:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Advice needed reguarding optional units pls

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed reguarding optional units pls  (Read 172 times)
purplerain

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:39:51 am »

Hello!
I have just started my level 3 in Health and Social care.  My manager is an assessor, but she is not my assessor. She has told me she will be needing my folder to put in my 'optional units'. I am unhappy with this as they are called optional units for a reason, that being i can choose which units i would like to do.  Have anyone had their manager tell them which optional units you will be doing?
I have told her that obviously i would choose units that are suitable to the home i work in and her reply was, i choose everyone's units here, everyone does the same. This also i don't believe is a good idea as i believe if we choose our own units then we all have knowledge in different areas, not just the same.  I told her that i would like to do end of life as one of my units (this is when she told me she chooses them) and i was told i couldn't do that as we have no one on end of life. 
I would be most grateful on people's knowledge/opinions on this matter and if any assessors are seeing this please can i have your response.
Many thanx

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

steadysue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:25:29 am »

Hello,
Have been away from site for a while so sorry for late response.
I am an assessor and agree that you should be choosing your optional units. 
Some organisations insist that all their carers do same Group B units so they make sure they are all competent with dementia, sensory loss, disabilities and so on. But they should not be choosing Group C units which make up majority of your optional units.
As you have a year to complete your award it is quite likely that you will come across end of life care but be aware that the performance criteria can be difficult to cover as many assessors, including me, consider it to be too intrusive to observe.
Speak to your allocated assessor.
Steadysue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: