The social care forum
April 19, 2024, 05:13:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Introductions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 2177 times)
Neil
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »

Right. I can see that a few people are beginning to sign up to the board but some of you haven't posted yet. Please don't be shy. Use this space to tell us a little bit about yourself like where you are from, where you work and what you are doing in general. It just paints a picture.
I'll start.
I'm Neil and i worked as a care assistant in a nursing home for several years eventually working up to a management position. I moved into training and after getting made redundant at Christmas (thanks Phil) i started my own training company. I live in Derbyshire and i do this site as a hobby.
Report Spam   Logged

Why be a currant in the bun when you could be the icing on the cake?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Chezzie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 06:51:47 am »

Hi

Im Jo from Chesterfield, i work in a Nursing home for the elderly. Ihave done L2 and L3 and im going to start my A1 soon. Yay.
I love football (spireites) got two dogs Jack an English Springy thing and Sadie a collie X alsation. Love Terry Pratchett books. Gutted to hear of his diagnonsis of Alzheimers. Just started with an allotment so we can grow our own. Really want some chooks for it. Im also like walking in the Peak District and history, stone circles things like that when i have the time.

Report Spam   Logged

To err is human, to blame someone else shows management potential.
bronson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »

Hi
I have been in care for 6 months now i really do enjoy my job.i have just started my NVQ 2 getting trough it bit by bit.

Report Spam   Logged
Neil
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:50 am »

Welcome aboard Bronson, We have all been there but you will be fine i'm sure. Have a look round the site and yell if you need any help

Neil
Report Spam   Logged

Jacqui

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:59 pm »

Hi to everyone out there, my name is Jacqui, I am a foster carer living in Bradford. I have achieved NVQ 3 in health and social care and am currently doing the A1 award. Just found this site and think it is wonderful, will be spreading the word to the foster caring community. Well done Neil.
Report Spam   Logged
Polly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 04:49:32 pm »

Hi im Polly

Ive worked in residential care for over 20years been an Assessor for 7years and now diversified into Assessing on a full time basis, working for a Training company as an Assessor in Health and Social Care since joining the company in February this year I have assessed over 15 candidates to completion on level 2 and 3, some full frameworks and the rest T2G.
Report Spam   Logged
Sue Lucas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:37:03 am »

Hi I'm Sue
I have worked in care for over 20 years and in many different settings with all ages. I left my managers post to become a full time assessor in March this year and assess levels 2 - RMA, now the new award.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:39:52 am »

Hi Sue
Welcome aboard. We look forward to your contributions

Neil
Report Spam   Logged

Olivia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »

Olivia

I have been involved in full time care work with a local authority in the Midlands since 1998 after a brief introduction to care in 1990. I qualified D32/D33 in 2000 and have been assessing level 2 full time since 2004. I hold very strong views about the NVQ awards and how they ought to be improved, not least of which that a non-academic qualification should never have been written by academics unless they are able to converse in the commonm tongue. (After three sets of standards they prove they are still unable to do this) I find that a lot of time is wasted verbally translating the standards (as you cannot do this in written form) where they should be easily accessible to all and assessors' time could be better spent helping care staff to raise the standard of care in the UK. This has unfortunately become the emperor's new clothes syndrome upheld by most from assessor level upwards. I am currently involved in re-writing assessment materials (at last), written questions etc. to overcome the above difficulty. I am always pleased to see people's views about what we need to improve things. I used to be fairly active in the NVQ Care website which disappeared when Alan had an accident and the hosting company lost reams of data which has never been replaced. It would be good to back up everything you submit in case of a similar loss and try to regroup all the old members to this site, which follows a similar style and enthusiasm. Look forward to being involved as much as I can, subject to family needs.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:12:02 am »

Hi Olivia
Welcome aboard and thankyou for your frank views. I tend to agree with you on most points as i seem to spend far too much time translating the standards. I also believe that this puts the candidates off from the outset as they sometimes believe that they are thick if they don't understand them.
I met Alan in a Mimosa home in Wolverhampton last year. Is he still wanting to be a nurse?
Your input would be greatly appreciated on this site. We have a few contributors who i believe have the same aims as me which is to improve the level of care within the UK and to enable people who have never been given a chance to achieve something they can be proud of.
Report Spam   Logged

ECrazy Holland

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:04:18 pm »

Hi everyone,
I'm Emily, i worked in care for about 5 yrs i then had my little lady and am now doing a health and social care degree with the open university. I was doing my NVQ 4 and RMA but sadly never got to finish as due to a less than brilliant boss i felt it was time to leave. I have worked with learning dis, mental health, elderly and community care. I love and miss it i know those of you who will have been working over christmas will think i'm mad but i do its a special job done by special people.
I had a btilliant tutor who made learning interesting and i always looked forward to our friday sessions thanks Neil  Wink  x
Report Spam   Logged
gypsywoman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:28 am »

Hi Im Mandy - Im originally from South Africa, but british by parentage.
Ive been a live-in carer in the UK for the same person for four years . I really enjoy it, but find live-in care is quite demanding. Between doing the housework, cooking, shopping, seeing to the individuals needs, and trying to get time to do an NVQ3.  I have 3 hours off in the afternoon, which I try to get some study done ( and yes Olivia - it takes some time to wrap your head around the jargon its written in - blinding!) Im called at least 3 times during my time off, for loo calls, or change the TV station etc... so my study time get a little fragmented.
In the begining (4 yrs ago)I tried to find out where I could learn more about caring. Most people told me it was difficult because I didn't work for an agency or care home who would normally arrange these things. A friend advised doing an NVQ, so I signed up with a company on the internet (not knowing any better) paying my £1000 and something, a few months later they went into liquidation, loosing my money. So now Im doing it through a college, and they're great.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:19:07 am by gypsywoman » Report Spam   Logged
susan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »

hi im susan currently doing nvq4 i am a officer in charge in a residential emi home been there for nearly 4 years only passed my level 3 in august took me 4 months my goal now is to do my ocr level 4 then hopefully have a business plan to manage my own place xxxx
Report Spam   Logged
Neil
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »

Hiya Susan

welcome to the site and good luck with your ambitions

Neil
Report Spam   Logged

Showwyniran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:31:38 pm »

Hi
Im a Floating Support Worker and work in the Borough of Enfield. been at the Job for a few years now. have also had the opportunity to work with Young Adults and Elderly, Learning and Physical Disability. but by far prefer my present job as it cuts across all of the above. thought id do this course to brush up a bit as i like working with people.

Just begun NVQ Level 3, and though am exited, also a bit aprehensive. Am so pleased that this is on line, and it most likely will help.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: