The social care forum
March 28, 2024, 05:29:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

medication

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: medication  (Read 7923 times)
staceyd

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:02:30 am »

hi
im stuck on question
describe how ethical issues that may arise over the use of medication can be addressed?Huh?Huh???

could really do with some advice on this

cheers in advance
xx
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

maind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:05 am »

Hi Staceyd!
One ethical issue which raised its head a few years ago and has resulted in changes to the way medication is administered was the covert crushing of medications and adding them to jam or other foods to disguise them when an individual declined to take them.  This was considered unethical, unfair deceitful and often dangerous and is now forbidden.  Medication which is crushed can be dangerous (slow release medicines can hit the system all in one go causing collapse and serious illness) and giving it in this hidden manner takes away a person's right to choose.  Now, I can't say this doesn't go on anymore as I am sure it probably does but, a good provider will call a meeting and discuss any difficulties when administering medication with professionals (pharmacist, GP etc) and of course any advocate, family or carers.  Other ethical issues around medication might be a person's strong beliefs around the testing of medicines on animals.  If you google the two issues, I'm sure you will find information to help expand your answers.  And of course, always include a real example from your own practice wherever possible!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: