The social care forum
March 29, 2024, 01:30:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thenvqman.web.officelive.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

please help

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: please help  (Read 9949 times)
XbunnyX

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:52 am »

hello I wondered if anyone can help me. I'm doing the unit promote active support and I don't know where to start!
1) what are the characteristics associated with active support in relation to an individuals support?
2) what are the characteristics of the hotel model in relation to an individuals support?
3) compare the two models above.
thank you for any help
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

maind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »

Hi XbunnyX!
The characteristics of active support include drawing the person into their plan of care and really including them in decisions being made about this - person centred planning in other words.  It means thinking about the person in a holistic way - so their previous history, spiritual needs, physical needs and family are considered - likes and dislikes.  They are encouraged to get involved in activities within the home and promote or maintain their independence.
The hotel model on the other hand, is just a 'new' word for institutional care - things done without real consent and for the convenience of the staff (like making people wait for pain relief because the medicine round isn't officially starting for another hour).  The hotel model means that people have everything done for them which means they are losing their skills and ability to care for themselves.
So a comparison would mean stating which model is best for the individual and importantly why.  CQC will also consider whether a home or provider is institutional in nature, so it is in the provider's best interest to provide a non-institutional setting to comply with the Essential Standards of Quality and Safety against which it will be judged when being inspected!  Remember that the setting's CQC report is available on line and that people will check these before picking a place for their loved one to live (so there is a business implication there too!)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: